Woman Dies Following Tick Bite

Posted by on Sunday, July 16, 2017

A woman from Missouri has died from a tick bite.

The tick was carrying the Bourbon Virus.

Bourbon virus is a virus in the genus Thogotovirus of the family Orthomyxoviridae, which is similar to Dhori virus and Batken virus.

Symptoms include high fever, headache, decreased appetite, muscle aches, joint pain, fatigue, malaise, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and a maculopapular rash on the abdomen, chest and back. Late in the course of the illness he experienced shortness of breath, which developed into acute respiratory distress syndrome.

It was first identified in 2014 in a man from Bourbon County, Kansas, United States, who died after being bitten by ticks. 
58-year-old Tamela Wilson, began feeling unwell in late May, shortly after she'd spotted and removed two ticks from her body.

No routine diagnostic test is yet available.

There is currently no specific treatment or vaccine for the virus; supportive therapy is recommended.

Ticks are small arachnids, part of the order Parasitiformes. Along with mites, they constitute the subclass Acari. Ticks are ectoparasites, living by feeding on the blood of mammals, birds, and sometimes reptiles and amphibians.



The Team

© Wx Centre