What The Cold Atlantic Water Means For Hurricane Season

Posted by Kyle Brookings on Monday, August 20, 2018

As we approach the peak of the Atlantic Hurricane Season, ocean waters are cooler than average.

This means we will likely see less development in the Atlantic Basin making this year unusually quiet.

The August 9th update by NOAA calls for below-normal or near normal activity.

The agency says that there is an indication of a 60% chance of a below-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of an above-normal season. Less activity is now expected compared to NOAA’s pre-season outlook issued on 24 May.

As we know it only takes one storm to make it a bad season, residents in the North Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and Gulf of Mexico should still monitor updates on storms.



The Team

© Wx Centre