Ontario has the most historic sites in Canada

Posted by on Sunday, May 28, 2017
Kingston City Hall (NHSC chart).jpg
Ontario has the most historic sites in Canada. 268 to be exact.

The first site was designated in 1919.

Some popular sites include:

McCrae House, located in Guelph, Ontario, is the birthplace of John McCrae, doctor, soldier and author of the famous First World War poem "In Flanders Fields". 

Dundurn Castle is a historic neoclassical mansion on York Boulevard in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The 18,000-square-foot house took three years and $175,000 to build, and was completed in 1835.

Kingston City Hall is the seat of local government in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Occupying a full city block facing Lake Ontario in Kingston's downtown. The city hall was completed in 1844, with its scale and design reflective of Kingston's status as capital of the Province of Canada at that time. 

Niagara-on-the-Lake is a Canadian town in Southern Ontario where the Niagara River meets Lake Ontario in the Niagara Region of the southern part of the province of Ontario. It is across the Niagara River from Youngstown, New York, US. It is the only town in Canada that has a Lord Mayor.

The Parliament Buildings on the southern banks of the Ottawa River in downtown Ottawa, Ontario. Its Gothic revival suite of buildings is the home of the Parliament of Canada and has architectural elements of national symbolic importance. Parliament Hill attracts approximately 3 million visitors each year. Law enforcement on parliament hill and in the parliamentary precinct is the responsibility of the Parliamentary Protective Service (PPS).

Fort York is a historic site of military fortifications and related buildings on the west side of downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The fort was built by the British Army and Canadian militia troops in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, to defend the settlement and the new capital of the Upper Canada region from the threat of a military attack, principally from the newly independent United States. It was designated a National Historic Site in 1923.



The Team

© Wx Centre