NHC Says Near or Above-Normal Hurricane Season

Posted by Kyle Brookings on Friday, May 25, 2018
Hurricane season probability and numbers of named storms.

NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 75-percent chance that the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season will be near- or above-normal.

There is a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30.

NOAA’s forecasters predict a 70-percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms, of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes, including 1 to 4 major hurricanes. An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes. 



© Wx Centre