Muskrat Methylmercury

Posted by on Tuesday, October 18, 2016

As protests continue in Muskrat Falls, Labrador, Nalcor is pushing ahead with plans to raise water levels in the Muskrat Falls reservoir.

Those protesting allege that scientific findings show that Muskrat Falls will significantly increase Inuit exposure to methylmercury.

Methylmercury is a bioaccumulative environmental toxicant. If ingested, methylmercury is readily and completely absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract.

However, there have been several episodes in which large numbers of people were severely poisoned by food contaminated with high levels of methylmercury, notably the dumping of industrial waste that resulted in the pollution and subsequent mass poisoning in Minamata and Niigata, Japan.

Water levels can change quickly without notice, and exposed sandbars can become submerged.



The Team

© Wx Centre